Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Crafts - Earring Holder

Over the weekend I wanted to get a jump start on my summer craft to do list. I stupidly decided to start three different crafts and finished one. [I always have next weekend.]

I had an old earring hanger that my mom made me years ago. It hung on a hanger and the fabric was ugly no longer my style. Thanks to Pinterest I saw something like this and wanted to try it.

This is what you will need:
• Open wood frame (or frame of preference)
• burlap (color of your choice)
• Starch spray (I used Faultless brand 'Heavy')
• Hot glue gun and glue
• Paint (I used a light color and then a crackle overlay)
• Paint brushes

Original white frame
Step 1: I cut the burlap based upon sizing it to the back of the frame. [I bought the burlap and frame from Hobby Lobby.]

Step 2: I sprayed the burlap with the starch spray. I sprayed the burlap over newspapers. [I bought the starch spray from a dollar general store, but it can be found anywhere you buy laundry detergents.]

Painted frame
Step 3: I painted the frame with the light buttermilk paint. The frame was originally a bright white color and I wanted it to be a little more rustic. [I bought the paint from Michael's.] I painted a few coats so that the color was more pronounced.

Paints

Crackle
Step 4: I then used the crackle paint and painted it on over the color coat. [I don't think I did it right because it isn't the most crackled but I like it that way. You can buy spray paint cans that have a stone or crackle effects.]

Step 5: Once the paint was dry, I hot glued the starched burlap to the back of the frame. [You could do this with staples but I didn't have a staple gun.] Pull tight on the burlap when gluing it down so that it is stronger. [The starch should have made it stiffer as well.] The stronger it is the better it will hold the earrings' weight.

Step 6: I then hung my earrings up and realized I have a lot! I need a bigger frame. :)
Finished project!

You can lean it up against a wall or hang it with ribbon or like a normal picture frame.

Hope you like it! My friend also did it with window screen instead of burlap. Share your ideas and if you try it! Enjoy!

2 comments: